The double Boko Haram attack has not yet been claimed, but Boko Haram is suspected to have once again struck the city of Maiduguri.
Dozens of people were killed Thursday night in a mosque in Maiduguri in northeastern Nigeria when two suicide bombers there have raised their bombs, said witnesses. “All those who were in the mosque were killed. There not a single survivor”, said Muhtari Ahmadu, a trader located near the site of the attack. “We counted 42 bodies outside the mosque,” explained Greg Marte, one of the militiamen who help security against the Nigerian armed group Boko Haram Islamist forces. The police of Borno State, of which Maiduguri is the capital, confirmed that the mosque had been hit by two suicide bombings, but gave a lower balance of 14 dead.
The mosque has collapsed
After the explosions, the mosque has collapsed and “many people praying” were injured, said police in a statement. The explosions occurred around 18: 30 p.m. While the faithful did their evening prayer in this mosque in a Western suburb of Maiduguri, cradle of Boko Haram, which was founded there in the early 2000s. The Group stepped up its attacks on civilian targets in recent months using suicide bombers and homemade bombs.
The attackers were disguised as worshipers, witnesses reported. According their narrative, the first bomber triggered his explosives when entering the mosque. The second blew himself up shortly after, once many people had rushed to rescue the victims. When these people arrived, “the second blew himself up, killing many of them”, explained Greg Marte. “The mosque can widely accommodate 40 people, but it is not known how many people were inside at the time of the attack,” said Muhtari Ahmadu.
Boko Haram suspect
The double attack was claimed at the moment, but Boko Haram is suspected to have once again hit Maiduguri, covered by multiple attacks since the outbreak of the insurgency in 2009. At least four people had already died in three suicide attacks almost simultaneous Tuesday night in Maiduguri, in the District of Ajilari Cross, similar on two occasions in recent weeks attacks, including the September 20 which killed at least 117 people. The Boko Haram uprising has made at least 17 000 dead and more than 2.5 million displaced since 2009.
See more detailed report on VanGuard News Nigeria